Thursday, March 19, 2009

1 Mile

Bryan and Jase drink their healthy fruit smoothies at breakfast! How cute!

Yesterday Bryan and I ran 1 mile! Can you believe it? I haven't run 1 mile since 2002 before I got sick. We gathered up all our little ones and decided to eat a healthy breakfast and run around the ACU campus. We stretched before and walked a little to start out. Bryan had a great idea of how to take Jase and Gracey along...check out these photo's!

The boys at the starting line!
Family walk! We can do it!!!

Gracey is REALLY Super-Weenie-ly excited! She actually enjoyed the ride and sniffed the entire time!

I am so surprised the Lord gave me enough strength to accomplish this run. When I was attending ACU, I used to run at least 3 times a week around the entire campus. But with my illness and chemotherapy treatments behind me, I still struggle with weakness in my muscles as well as pain. I have been trying to stretch and exercise my body as much as possible, but the trick is to exercise, but not stress my body to where I will not be able to function because of pain. It is a very tricky situation that is hard to describe if you haven't experienced it. But when I woke up yesterday morning, I had a FULL tank and was able to get ready and run! It may seem like a trivial thing to be excited about, but I feel like the Lord is giving me more healing as the months go by. Jase has been a part of this as he has challenged me physically to keep going without necessarily noticing that I am exerting a lot of energy and strength.

Today I am feeling the results of pushing my body. My legs feel very sore. But it was worth it. Slowly, I am going to keep pressing towards honoring God with my physical healing. I want it and I will seek it and take steps, even if small ones to keep going. It has literally taken this long for me to get this much energy back from the chemo. I once spoke with a lady about it and she told me that she has not ever had the same amount of energy she had before she had treatments and it had been over 10 years. So I know that although it has been 2.5 years since my last treatment, that it takes even longer than the amount that you went through the treatment to really get any where near back to the amount of energy and muscle that once was there. And even at that, I may never have the energy I once did. But I will take what I have now and smile! I know how it is to not even be able to get out of a bed, or have to walk with a walker, or be walking and not be able to make it back. God has brought me a long way and I am thankful.

4 comments:

Katie said...

That's awesome!! Congrats!! I totally understand. While my situation was a little different, my knee surgeries have kept me down their share of times!! Isn't He amazing?!?! YAY!! Have a GREAT day!! :)

Jennifer said...

Olivia! I am so proud of you guys! That is AWESOME! God is restoring your energy:-)

I LOVE running. Anytime you want to go I will join you:-)

Your such an inspiration, soon you will be running 2,3 maybe even 4 miles. Love you!

Angela said...

you are so awesome! I know lots of people who can not run around ACU, me included! (and I've never had to conquer chemo or any serious illness). I'm excited for you and think it's awesome to see how God uses Jase to bring healing in many dimensions to your body and heart.

Lynn said...

Olivia

I wanted to cry in joy for you when I read this! I know that not being the ball of energy you once were has been difficult for you! I am so proud of you for pushing through and for giving the glory to God! He is faithful! Just a little note of hope, I know someone who just ran a marathon and placed - he is less than four years out of a pretty tough regimen of chemo and is trying to make it to the Boston Marathon! I am amazed!