Friday, August 14, 2009

Tubing Down the Llano

Because of my Lupus I rarely get to be sporadic and unplanned. So many people with auto-immune disease's understand all too well the "gas tank" concept of having to store energy for events that you want to attend. One of the most energy consuming gas guzzlers is outdoor activity in heat. Usually when people plan their summer adventures, I lock the doors, pull the blinds down, and set the AC on full power. Nothing is worse to me than using the precious energy I have to battle the Texas heat by simply carrying in groceries! But last week I put aside my inhibitions, rested and took off with Bryan and Gracey to Junction, Texas to go tubing down the Llano River all within less than 12 hours of planning it! We left very early in the morning and I slept the entire way there. We arrived at 9:30 am and headed to the river, rented our tubes, and proceeded to the shorter section. We went to the hotel, ate, rested, and then conquered the longer part in the afternoon. There was no doubt this was a very hard trip for me, but we really needed it. Plus we got to bring Gracey along to the river and in the hotel, so it was a family trip! Soon I'll be heading up north to visit my family for 3 weeks, so it was nice to get away together. Married people should take trips like this a lot, but Bryan and I never really had the chance to before, so why not now? Consequently I did flare a little with my Lupus and had to make it a priority to rest when we came home, but I think it was worth it. Having Lupus does prevent me from doing a lot of things I want to, but every once in a while I can push my body a little if I know what I am doing and allow myself to recover. Here are some fabulous photos of our adventure down the raging river rapids (Just kidding! Most of the time we actually had to paddle our way down!) By the way, this is an excellent area for a quick family trip! I recommend it. We stayed in a great hotel (the Legends Inn, SO clean and very friendly people) rented tubes and paid our park fee as well as food for nearly only 100.00 which we were given as a gift by Bryan's mom for an adventure such as this!

3 comments:

BeckyJoie at Leaders in Learning said...

Oh, that looks so fun. I do understand that feeling of storing up energy. Also, the surprise of a few rare spontaneous moments like this can be memories of a lifetime. I'm so glad you had a chance to get out like you did.

Joyfully said...

the picture at the top is my favorite! That looks so fun!

Lynn said...

Livy - I am SO excited for you that you were able to do this!! I understand the need to store up and plan out your energy. I am glad that you felt like you had enough in the tank to be able to be spontaneous!! It is SO wonderful! I rejoice and praise God with you! You look so happy and like you are having so much fun in these photos. It brings me great joy! Thank you for sharing!