Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Gracey Nose/Knows

We have been to the vet 3 times in the last week. Gracey seems to be having another spell. Her liver disorder, microvascular dysplasia, seems to be stable, but affecting her more as the weather gets hot. She swells, isn't as active, and seems sad. But as we came home from church Sunday, Gracey was limping and falling over. Her back right leg was pretty much dangling, she would try to walk to us, and collapse. It was heart breaking to watch. I thought she broke her leg. We took her to the ER Vet and they said she has a luxating patella in both of her back leg knees. In other words, her knee caps are out of their groove, sloshing back and forth around her leg bones. Her left knee cap has already been back and forth so much it has made a new groove on the exterior, and pretty much stays stable, even though it is not in the right place. The right leg, the one we saw her struggling with, is still popping back and forth, and when it gets caught, it causes her to loose control of the leg and therefore she falls, hops, or sits. This is causing some pain for her, and she is very uncomfortable. For about 2 days she had trouble going to the bathroom because she needed her back legs to prop her up. We ended up giving her pain medicine to help her, but it took a lot of coaxing and helping her to stand and catching her before she fell after she went. We also have her on some anti-inflammatory medicine called Metacam. I think it really helps her a lot. I really feel she fell off the couch or jumped down too quickly when she heard us drive up. She was fine before we left. Poor Gracey.

She also had to change her food. Now this is a HUGE battle because Gracey has went for days without eating before in stubbornness because she didn't want new food. We tried an LD (Liver Disease) diet, and she tried to eat it and threw up. So I have been making her some food, but it seemed like there should be an easier solution. So we are now trying the EN diet foods. Our vet told me (not Bryan, ha-ha!) to be strong and stubborn too because she needs it. Well, to my delight!, she actually ate the food yesterday mixed with some other stuff, but today she ate it alone and seemed to like it. This is a HUGE relief.

I know in all reality, Gracey will most likely not live forever, even though I claim she will. But I want her here for a long time. I want her happy, taken care of, and shown how much she blesses us. She has been through so much with me and has been a constant love. Her nose aka "the Sniffer" is my absolutely favorite thing ever. I wanted to post a photo of her and saw this one and just had to, but then something deeper hit me, Gracey NOSE. She knows how to love someone even when they feel unlovable, she's sensitive, sweet, smart, stubborn, ADORABLE, she makes me feel not alone, she acts like a temperature gage for my actions and emotions, I have seen her "therapy" hundreds of people, she makes me laugh, keeps me going even when I feel sick, she helps me LOVE, and for this I am so thankful.

3 comments:

M said...

"I want her happy, taken care of, and shown how much she blesses us." She is happy, and she does know!!! Even though I know it will be heartbreaking for you, the best thing for her in the end will be to let her go when she needs to. She has been such a great companion for you and for many others, and I pray you will have many more days together! What a blessing to have a sweet constant companion like Gracey. I just thought of an email I need to forward to you...

Angela said...

GRACE to you. I know this is very hard for you. hugs

Leah said...

Awww, so sorry to hear about Gracey's new health problems. Isn't the love these little ones give us and everyone around them simply amazing?! What would we do without our fur creatures? Love you guys!