Saturday, May 01, 2010

Lupus Awareness Month

May is Lupus Awareness Month
May 10, 2010 is World Lupus Day


So what can you do?

*Wear Purple on Monday, May 10. SEND in a photo of you, the kids or your pets wearing purple to me! I am going to pick my favorite one and the winner gets a FREE IBG Print! Yes, you read that right people....A FREE IBG ORIGINAL PRINT...and I will sign it for you! I will post the ones I get on my blog with the winner on May 14. Send entries to: ibgphotography@aol.com

*Pray for me and others who have this painful disease.

*If you would like to make a donation in honor of Lupus Awareness Month (we did the Walk for Lupus Now last year with donations, thank you!) please visit the Lupus Foundation of America site.

*Read some interesting facts below!

Some Quick Facts:

*It is estimated that 1.5/2 million people (out of 304 million) in the United States have some form of lupus.
*80% of lupus patients develop the disease between the ages of 15 & 45.
*Many lupus patients are very sun sensitive, & therefore need to cover up well when in the sun.
*Some lupus patients report of being affected by UV light, eg. from fluorescent lights.
*The treatment of lupus aims to suppress the overactive immune system & diminish any inflammation.
*90% of lupus sufferers are female
*Approximately 95% of lupus patients have a positive ANA test.
*Lupus is differentiated from other connective tissue diseases, based on eleven criteria offered by the American College of Rheumatology for classification purposes:
•Butterfly-shaped rash across cheeks and nose
•Scaly disk-shaped rash on face, neck, ears, scalp, chest
•Sunlight sensitivity
•Mouth sores, tongue sores, inside nose sores
•Arthritis pain in joints
•Pain in chest and side when breathing or moving
•Kidney problems
•Neurological problems
•Blood problems such as anemia, low white cell count
•Immune system malfunction
•Antinuclear antibodies

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I want a purple bracelet! Do you know where I could get one??? Call or txt me if you! I want to wear it to support you sista! I am praying for ALL affected by this yucky disease!! LOVE YOU!