Monday, May 03, 2010

"Traitor"

My featured piece at my recent Inspired by Grace Show was "Traitor." After I finished it, a sense of relief came over me. I finally was able to demonstrate what Lupus feels like. Sometimes it is nearly impossible to express how you feel with Lupus. Every book, words, or thoughts don't come close to actually SHOWING you. I want to help others understand on an emotional level the battle going on with there own body. Underneath the photo is the explanation/bio I wrote and hung with this piece. It was a 16x20 print, and the detail of "Lupus" pulling down was easier to see, but I think you will be able to see this here below. (Inspired by Grace is written on the top here solely for copyright reasons, it is not a part of "Traitor")


How can you learn to accept the fact your own body is a traitor against you? It never happens. After being diagnosed with Systemic Lupus (SLE) in 2004, I live in constant realization that my body attacks itself. Lupus is an autoimmune disorder where the body confusedly thinks it needs to protect itself from blood, tissue and in severe cases like mine, vital organs. After 2.5 years of chemotherapy treatments I am now in remission, yet feel the affects of Lupus everyday. “Traitor” represents mine, and millions of other’s war against illness. As I struggle to stand, my own self pulls me down with vengeance thinking it is doing what is right. This photo shows the truth of many who feel the heavy weight of disease and wish their own body would stop fighting them and allow them to stand and be free of chains. It was impossible to capture “Traitor” myself and I couldn’t think of a better person to represent me then my husband, Bryan, who has witnessed the symptoms of Lupus and has held and supported me with tears in his eyes.



DON'T FORGET TO SEND IN YOUR PURPLE PHOTOS BY MAY 14! To win a chance at a FREE IBG Print! Be creative!

No comments: