Thursday, February 17, 2011

The HAM!

Last night we had an emergency run to the pizza slice shop and decided to take Gracey along for the adventure. She loves the car AND if it is going to a drive-thru then even better, although she rarely gets anything. I had never been to this drive-thru before with her, but as soon as we drove up she was ALL sniffs out that window! I think she detected every ingredient used there within one sniff of that sniffer. The guy who took our order noticed Gracey instantly. I am sure there were subliminal messaging going on from Gracey to him that might have went something like this..."Oh, Pizza shop drive-thru man, I am STARVING...these people never feed me. See how cute I am? I am SOOOOO hungry. You need to feed the cute dog in front of you...go get something for me...!!!!" Keep in mind that Gracey JUST ate her dinner less than an hour ago. So behold, it worked!!!! He leaves us practically mid-sentence about to order, and comes back with a MASSIVE piece of HAM! I mean,...I am talking about as big as Gracey's head. I literally saw Gracey's eyes pop out of her head at that moment, and perhaps a little tune of the "Hallelujah Chorus" played in the background. She gobbled that hunk of ham within seconds, I truly don't think she even chewed. I may have gagged a little. Bryan looked at me as though he was helpless to do anything. And I was relieved that it was over and we could get back to ME here, the very hungry pregnant woman! But to the ecstatic delight and heavenly answered prayers of Gracey, the guy goes back and gets ANOTHER HUMONGOUS piece of ham for her. I wanted to say "no" but before I could even really process what was happening beyond my emotional response to wanting my food, the second head-length piece of of ham was devoured instantly. By now, Gracey was practically INSIDE the drive-thru window. She would have completely lept into the building if her legs were long enough. Finally we ordered and our crunchy, crispy, cheesy pizza was in my hand and we were finishing paying and I see this little tiny face peak through the drive-thru held by an older gentlemen. The owner had come to see Gracey with his grandson and GUESS WHAT THE CHILD HAD FOR GRACEY????????? ANOTHER BIG BIG BIG PIECE OF HAM!!!!!!!!! I don't think Gracey thought this could be happening. Was it real? This time, dulled with the pain of craving-hunger and the reality I would be eating soon, I nodded and smiled, and Gracey had yet another helping of ham. When we drove away Bryan said he could literally feel Gracey's stomach protruding. But I don't think she minded...in fact she probably considers that place Heaven on Earth.

4 comments:

Angela said...

If they were being generous based on cuteness, they should have at least given you an extra pizza! You are one of the cutest humans on the planet. Of course, if you compare human cuteness and doggie cuteness, doggies may be in a category much beyond ours!!

Della said...

Olivia,
This is such a sweet post, and has me chuckling. Gracie has the heart, and appetite of my Boxers!

Congrats on the baby ;)

Leah said...

That is SO cute!! Daisy and Oscar would've been in heaven!

M said...

OLIVIA!!!! :) Big huge grins over here! I have been so out of the loop. I have been thinking of you A LOT lately, believe it or not, as I have been having lots of kid struggles lately, but no time/access to blog. I am SO HAPPY to hear about your pregnancy! Congratulations to you and Brian. I will be praying for a healthy pregnancy and delivery. I'm going to have to read back farther to hear all about it... I cannot express enough how happy I am for you. I will PRAY and PRAY and PRAY...