Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Sacrifice of God


If you make a sacrifice and you already know the outcome will be ok and better than ok, is it still considered a sacrifice? I often wonder things like this. I don't mean it pridefully or insultingly. God knew the outcome of giving His Son would be Victorious. Why do we consider it such a big deal of sacrifice then for Him to have done this? God knew Jesus would rise again. God knew Jesus would reign with Him on His right hand. God knew the success of Jesus dying. Can it still be sacrifice when He knew, not just assumed, but literally saw the future and knew? When I asked this question several weeks ago, I didn't do it in a way to provoke God, I wanted to search through this mystery. I felt as though I was missing a treasure, an "ah-ha" moment if you will. And it came. It came in power and amazement!!!

The only aspect I can see (I would love to learn more if you see anything as well!) is that the sacrifice...it still takes my breathe away even now to recognize this...is Jesus BECAME SIN. He became the ACTUAL compilation of ALL SIN. And God, His Father, could not look upon Him. God had to turn His back on Jesus. This was the sacrifice. THIS WAS THE SACRIFICE!!!!!!!!! God knew who Jesus was. He knew everything, because He was Him. He knew how pure, loving, and sinless He was, yet in that moment, God had to turn away and leave Him. Here is what the word says:

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."
1 Corinthians 5:21

"About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli,[a] lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)."
Matthew 27:46

Even though God knew who Jesus was, He didn't get offended at what we did and say "screw this,"...He ALLOWED IT ANYWAY. This is the Love of God. THIS VERY ACT IS WHO GOD IS. He tolerated our sin on His perfect Son to give us freedom.

How do you think Jesus felt? It wasn't simply a walk to a cross and then being nailed and raised to die. He endured days and days of torture. He was thirsty and hungry (Yes Jesus felt these things to, He gave up His divine right, to live as a man, Matthew 4:1-11) and was alone (Mark 14:50). The only thing that kept Him going was His Father and doing His will. But then, then, then....even what He had left. God left Him. He had to. Jesus was sin and God could not look upon it (Habakkuk 1:13). Jesus was alone. God had to turn away and allow the SACRIFICE. It didn't matter if Jesus was raised three days later. It TORE God's heart to have to do that. I believe it hurt Him and pained Him.

All I can say is Thank You Father. Thank You for doing what You did not have to do. Thank You for creating a way for me to know you and that I don't have to sacrifice animals to do it (seriously do I hear an Amen!!!!!)! Thank You for giving Your life fully and with full knowledge of what You were doing. I love You and Honor Your Holy Name.

2 comments:

BK said...

What an amazing insight!

Terri Picone said...

Thank you for this post. I googled grace and sacrifice, and this came up second (should've been first, I think!).

Grace is a word that has seemed to have lost its full meaning. It's watered down. Being nice, being polite and having good social behavior is what we commonly think of when we hear the word today.

But grace is "undeserved favor" so that means the recipient gains something she didn't earn, something he doesn't deserve. And that is powerful.

The ultimate grace story begins, "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

The Father sacrificed Jesus, meaning separation and pain and Hell, for us "while we were yet sinners."

Amazing grace.