Thursday, August 09, 2012

Inch by Inch

Today Micah is 4 lbs 7.6 oz.  We call every morning around 2 or 3 am to check on her.  We ask about her oxygen.  We ask how she is laying, did she digest her food, and how much she weighed.  If there are labs we ask about those too, although she does not have them often any more.  Her Hematocrit (sp?) came back at a 27.8.  They wont transfuse until she is below 26, so this always makes me nervous.  Her RETIC (a test to make sure she is in fact making her owb blood) came back higher.  So we know she is making her own blood, but she needs to make more.  She does look a little pale.  Also she has a bad diaper rash that makes me super sad.  They have to add nutrition to my breast milk and they switched what they are using and she is having loose stools that seem to be the culprit here.  They got a prescription Butt Balm today!!  LOL.  Hoping that works.  Also she is able to be held TWO times a day now!!!  When we hold her, she becomes putty!  SHE LOVES IT!  Her SATs are good and she relaxes.  She got her PICC line out the other day and we are praying she will not have any more infections.  Infection is a big culprit in the hospital.  You would think it would not be such a problem, but it is.  Several babies have been diagnosed with MERSA already.  We have had 2 contact isolation's we have gone through in our NICU rooms.  They require you to gown and glove before you interact with your baby, so in other words, no skin to skin touching...try telling your crying baby that!!!  Then when your baby's test comes back clear, you can resume contact. The first time this happened, Micah was very small and we were not able to hold her as much, so it was hard. The other week it happened again, and it was very difficult.  I am hoping it does not happen again while we are here.  The eye doctor came by yesterday and said her eyes are looking better!  I am still so pleased with how the doctor handled this with Micah.  She is doing super well on the C-PAP.  They decreased her pressure 2 days ago to a 7.  The doctor told me the plan is to decrease it again on Monday (13th) to a 6.  Then HOPEFULLY (PRAISE GOD!!!!) on Thursday (16th) she will go to Vapotherm!!!!!!!!!  She is very ready to have her cute little trunk off.  It is a blessing though, and we do our best to help her get comfortable with it on.  Then, once stable with this, we will begin to breast feed for nutrition.  She has to suck, breathe and swallow, which can be hard for preemies.  I know it may take some time, and I am willing to have the patience with this upcoming process.  She has been doing well with the non-nutritive, so it gives me hope that she will do well when it comes to eating for real.  Her Occupational Therapist said she is doing very well and has had no problems with her muscles or joints.  Her Pulmanologist (lung doctor) is also very pleased with her progress and says we are doing wonderful.  He has talked with us several times about making sure when we go home to really keep Micah away from crowds and sick people. 

I continue seeking the Lord in this season with desperation.  I am tiring, but I know I approach the finish line soon.  I think about how easy it is to give up sometimes.  Remember the story I wrote about several months ago about the swimmer who was going to beat the world record and gave up because of the fog and when she got in the rescue boat she was literally only feet away from the finish?  I don't want to give up when I know the Lord is working!!!!  It is easy to want to give up in this life sometimes.  We feel like we are done and just can't go on, but the best times I have ever lived through were the tough times, because they really do decide who you are.  I have not always been proud of my responses, but I know that I have sought the Lord through those times and I know they have always brought me closer to Him.  However, if we are alive, then God is not done with us yet!!!  Another day will come.  Another season will come.  Things wont always be this way.  If I know what I live for, then I must live for it.  I do not want to just say that I do, but here again is an opportunity to believe well.  I trust the Lord.  I follow His truths, and I will Trust Him even in this time. 

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Olivia, I love you! I am so glad for your frequent updates these days. It was hard to know/imagine what you were going through those first weeks of Micah's fragile life. I know I would not have felt like blogging either. The blog entries are like a reassurance that you are strong and surviving, not just surviving but LIVING, and I expected nothing less from such an amazing woman. You are an inspiration to me...I think I have said that before, but I really do mean it. God has used you to bless me in so many ways! I will continue to pray for you, Bryan, and Micah. I have shared your story with my fiance, David, and he has prayed as well. <3

Joyfully said...

Olivia-

May the Lord kiss you today with His love and turn His face ever so sweetly to yours! I hear your weariness, and the Lord does too! He will carry you through, to the finish!

Blessings to you my dear and to that tenacious warrior princess Micah Ahava Elise!

Stephanie said...

Olivia! I've been on commenting on Brian's blog to try and get ahold of you!!! Not sure why I didn't go to yours, HAHA! I'm in awe and in shock!
I was getting on your blog to see where you were with your pregnancy and found out about precious Micah!!!
I love you and will be praying for you DAILY!!!
I remember being with you to see that little heartbeat and I can't imagine how you feel finally getting to hold that precious girl.
You are one of the strongest women I know and God is writing an amazing story through you 3. Love you!!!
Oh and email me your phone number if you have time:)